In this post, our residential roofing repairs team will share with you a few free tips on how you can perform a quick and budget-friendly repair of wooden shingles. This is what you need to do if you notice that a few wooden shingles on your roof are split and may need urgent fixing or replacement before the whole roof gets damaged:
- You will need a chisel or a hammer that will help you split the old shingles into smaller narrow pieces that you can yank out with the help of pliers.
- Then you can slip the blade of a hacksaw under the shingle which is above and use it to cut the nails which are holding the old shingle which you want to replace.
- If the new shingle you want to install does not match the width of the space, you can trim it with a simple utility knife.
- What you need to do after adjusting the shape of the wooden shingle is slide it in place and tap it to within 1 inch of its final position.
- To make sure that the new shingle which you have just installed won’t fall off quickly, you have to drive in a couple of galvanized nails straight below the butt edge of the shingle which is placed above.